Do You Need a License to be a Handyman in Florida?
No, you do not need a license to be a handyman in Florida, as Florida does not even have handyman license documentation. Depending upon the work you perform, you may need to have a contractors license.
Long ago, being a Florida handyman was a matter of having the skills to perform odd jobs and/or construction projects and offering your skills where needed. Today, however, each state has its own set of laws regarding the training and license acquisition for an individual or company looking to be in the handyman business.
If you are wondering if you need a license to become a handyman in Florida, there is no handyman license in the state of Florida, though it imposes strict limitations on the work that an unlicensed individual can perform. Furthermore, a handyman business is required to have a State of Florida Contractor certification. Businesses with employees require a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), and those that sell building materials and other products require a seller’s permit.
The following is an overview of general handyman license requirements in the United States and also license requirements for Florida handymen.
What Are the Basic Skills of a Licensed Handyman?
By definition, a handyman is a versatile laborer who is skilled in a variety of repair, maintenance, and construction tasks. The basic handyman skills required to become a professional contractor include but are not limited to:
- Interior and exterior maintenance
- Window and door installation and repair
- Roofing installation and repair
- Tile installation and repair
- Painting and drywall
- Bathroom and kitchen renovations
- Carpentry work
- Flooring installation and repair
- Lighting and ceiling fan installation
In addition to these skills, the absolute minimum requirement for a handyman near you is to have adequate experience, knowledge of industry approved building techniques, and a close familiarity with state and local building and permit regulations. Those wishing to perform work such as electrical, plumbing, landscape design, or HVAC must obtain additional certification in each distinct area.
How to Become a Handyman Contractor?
As a general rule, every handyman must pass a certain amount of training in order to become a professional contractor. Not all states mandate that a handyman license is accompanied by formal handyman training; however, there are certain guidelines that must be considered for the designation.
The requirements are as follows:
- A high school diploma or higher
- Basic handyman skills (outlined above)
- Experience and/or training in the type of services offered
- Passing a handyman skills exam
- A handyman contractor license, a business license, or both
- Handyman insurance coverage and/or bonding
How do I Obtain a Contractor License in Florida?
In order to obtain a contractor license, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- Determine the handyman services that you would like to offer and the relevant license required.
- Ascertain whether you will require a general handyman license and/or specialty licensing for specific services.
- Obtain adequate professional training on your services of choice.
- Register for and pass a handyman license exam with questions pertaining to the building industry, handyman procedures, business, and law, etc.
- Bring your proof of professional training, business license, income statements, and proof of insurance coverage to the exam.
As previously mentioned, the state of Florida does not currently have licensing requirements for handymen, it imposes strict limitations on the work that an unlicensed individual can perform. Furthermore, a handyman business is required to have a State of Florida Contractor certification. Businesses with employees require a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), and those that sell building materials and other products require a seller’s permit.
The Handyman Company is a certified contractor in Florida and has locations throughout the state. If you are looking for a Sarasota handyman, an Orlando handyman, top-rated handyman in Jacksonville, or a Tampa handyman, we are a click or call away.
Contact an Experienced, Certified Florida Handyman Near You today!
Are you ready to hire a fully licensed jack-of-all-trades to work on your Florida property? If so, look no further than The Handyman Company for any and all of your handyman needs. Call us today!
Check out what Vericka from Tampa had to say about us on Customer Lobby.
“Worker was very professional and polite. Mr. Paris was skillful in completing the project with perfection. I will use again and record this service to others, Thank you”