Long ago, being a handyman was a matter of having the skills to perform odd jobs and/or construction projects and offering your skills where needed. Today, however, each state has its own set of laws regarding the training and license acquisition for an individual or company looking to be in the handyman business.
The following is an overview of general handyman license requirements in the United States.
???? What Are the Basic Skills of a Handyman?
By definition, a handyman is a versatile laborer who is skilled in a variety of repair, maintenance, and construction tasks. The basic handyman skills required to become a professional contractor include but are not limited to:
- Interior and exterior maintenance
- Window and door installation and repair
- Roofing installation and repair
- Tile installation and repair
- Painting and drywall
- Bathroom and kitchen renovations
- Carpentry work
- Flooring installation and repair
- Lighting and ceiling fan installation
In addition to these skills, the absolute minimum requirement for a handyman is to have adequate experience, knowledge of industry approved building techniques, and a close familiarity with state and local building and permit regulations. Those wishing to perform work such as electrical, plumbing, landscape design, or HVAC must obtain additional certification in each distinct area.
???? How to Become a Handyman Contractor?
As a general rule, every handyman must pass a certain amount of training in order to become a professional contractor. Not all states mandate that a handyman license is accompanied by formal handyman training; however, there are certain guidelines that must be considered for the designation.
The requirements are as follows:
- A high school diploma or higher
- Basic handyman skills (outlined above)
- Experience and/or training in the type of services offered
- Passing a handyman skills exam
- A handyman contractor license, a business license, or both
- Handyman insurance coverage and/or bonding
???? How do I Obtain a Contractor License in Florida?
In order to obtain a contractor license, you must satisfy the following requirements:
- Determine the handyman services that you would like to offer and the relevant license required.
- Ascertain whether you will require a general handyman license and/or specialty licensing for specific services.
- Obtain adequate professional training on your services of choice.
- Register for and pass a handyman license exam with questions pertaining to the building industry, handyman procedures, business, and law, etc.
- Bring your proof of professional training, business license, income statements, and proof of insurance coverage to the exam.
Although the state of Florida does not currently have licensing requirements for handymen, it imposes strict limitations on the work that an unlicensed individual can perform. Furthermore, a handyman business is required to have a State of Florida Contractor certification. Businesses with employees require a federal Employer Identification Number (EIN), and those that sell building materials and other products require a seller’s permit.
Contact an Experienced Florida Handyman today!
Are you ready to hire a fully licensed jack-of-all-trades to work on your Florida property? If so, look no further than The Handyman Company for any and all of your handyman needs. Call us today!