Chances are, when you open your garage door, function is not the first word that comes to mind, but not to worry because you are not alone. It is quite common for homeowners to let things pile up (literally) in their garage. It’s an open space that can easily and quickly become an at-home storage unit. The good news is that it’s not too late to transform your cluttered garage into a garage workshop that is both functional and less of an eyesore. All you need to do is rally up some motivation and follow these simple steps:
1. Take Out the Trash – As with most home improvement projects, the first thing you need to do before you can start building, drilling, gluing, installing, etc., is get rid of anything that is unwanted or simply not needed. Whether you choose to trash, donate, or sell these items is up to you but ultimately the goal is to maximize efficiency by minimizing clutter.
2. Make a Game Plan – Attempting to create your garage workshop without having some sort of guide or written plan is just plain silly. You need something to help you visualize the final outcome. Be sure to accurately measure out your area and plan ahead before purchasing anything from the hardware store. Sketch out your game plan, or look for ideas online that you can print out.
3. Work from the Wall – If you wish to install anything on the walls of your work in progress workshop, make sure to work from the wall out. This just makes things easier and safer on you and whoever might he helping you with this DIY project.
4. Bring in a Bench – The tool bench that you bring in to your garage workshop can either be purchased or hand crafted. It really depends on the main purpose it will serve. Ideally, you probably want your tool bench to provide additional storage so keep that in mind when you build or buy.
5. Leverage Your Light – Often times, garages are not equipped with preferable lighting. If you are going to be using your new work station for various projects then it is imperative that you have ample lighting, both for convenience and safety reasons. You can purchase small lamps or install additional overhead lighting.
If improving the functionality of your garage is something you are interested in but simply don’t have the time to tackle such a large project, The Handyman Company will gladly assist you. We will discuss your workbench options and make sure that the final masterpiece not only meets your expectations, but exceeds them.