The idea of the man cave has not only become more popular over the years, but it is also quite feasible. Granted, there is an opportunity to create a completely elaborate room that is customized from wall-to-wall, but it is certainly not necessary.
Despite the eluding name, a man cave can be a functional room in your home that everyone in the family can enjoy, not just the men. If you’ve toyed with the idea of transforming a room in your house into a man cave, here are some helpful tips to get you started:
1. Brainstorm, strategize, visualize, and make a game plan. Figure out where the man cave is going to be, then come up with a theme, color scheme, or focal point to work off of.
2. Set a budget and stick to it.
3. Get ideas from friends and family, local sports bars, and by looking at pictures of other man caves online.
4. Be realistic with your expectations, and make sure to keep the room both fun and functional.
5. Measure properly, and measure twice, so you know exactly how much space you have to work with.
6. Depending on how you wish to personalize your man cave, allow room to incorporate some of the following common man cave items – refrigerator, large flat screen television, pool table, recliners or large leather sofas, ping pong table, jukebox, sports memorabilia and wall art, putting green, and a designated area for weightlifting.
7. Make lists, both of what things need to be done, and what tools and materials you need to complete each of those projects.
8. Consider the amount of maintenance that will be needed to maintain the man cave once it is finished. The goal is to be able to enjoy the room when it’s complete, not have to continuously work on it.